Friday, September 26, 2014

Pinoy CyberPunk: Defenition


Hello everyone. I’m here once again. Hol-ly… when was my last post? You will have to forgive me for being one of the most absent minded dudes in Philippine literature. I practically forgot I had a blog! If I didn’t have to make a blog for my just finished game mod “CounterStrike Pinoy” I wouldn’t have probably checked this blog. Anyway, why am I talking about CounterStrike?   

I’m here to discuss Pinoy CyberPunk, why I called it as such and how different it is from regular CyberPunk (Yes, the William Gibson variety). I’m not gonna go anymore into the Wiki definition of CyberPunk (You can look that up) rather I’ll just point outexamples of it. CyberPunk is akin to CyberSpace or things that have something to do with it. You can call it the Internet, the Grid or Virtual Reality. This are adventures that happen within or connected to the realm of computers whether be it in print, movies, games or multimedia. 


 
       
Ex.  Neuromancer, Tron, The Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic Wargames, The Whiz Kids, Deus Ex, Tron 2.0, Burn Cycle, etc, etc …the list goes on.  

In Cyberpunk, there is conflict (most of the tim caused by computers) and the use of computer technology to resolve that conflict. So, where does Pinoy CyberPunk come in? (At the risk of sounding  antagonistic towards my own work) It’s called as such, because the conflict/event happened in the Philippines to Filipinos.  

Yes, that simple!  It can happen anywhere in the world (probably even in space or some other planet), as long as the protagonist (bida) is Pinoy, that’s Pinoy Cyberpunk. As for the difference between CyberPunk and Science Fiction, I for one personally believe that at times they kind of overlap each other in so many ways (with a lot of gray areas in between) but I’ll reserve that discussion for another post. If you’re interested in Pinoy Sci-Fi, I would recommend checking out Victor Ocampo's blog @

https://vrocampo.com/ 

Not only can he really write well but I found it really, really informative. As closely related as they are, for me, CyberPunk and Sci-Fi are different in that one went that way while the other went this way (kind of like a fork in the road). Thanks again for the read.

Till next time…  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment